The Gift Strewn Day

I drove my car towards the on-ramp to Highway 400 and noticed the mist hanging close to the ground, although high in the sky the morning sun was up and shining brightly.  

As my car merged with the morning traffic headed for the city of Toronto, to my left stood trees, like layers of delicate silvery lace, backed by ghostly hills; while on my right, through the blanket of swirling fog covering the fields of the Holland Marsh, rose the rooftops of farmhouses, storage sheds and barns. 

Slowly, the lanes of traffic oozed towards the city and tall buildings rose from the mist now tinged with the faint orange hue of smog. I was in awe of the beauty all the same.

That evening, on my way home, I stopped at the Sobey's grocery store in Bradford to pick up a few things. As I loaded the bags into my car trunk, the sky to the west, was deep salmon red on the horizon, fading into the indigo blue of approaching night.

Night was falling fast as I continued home, and by the time I was on the outskirts of Bond Head, a silver sliver of moon hung like a rakish smile in the sky with a bright star winking below and in the west.

Throughout the day, from the journey to work to coming home, my life went on, preoccupied with temporary things, while all around and in between, intense and lavish loveliness attended me.

And I could not let it pass without sharing what I saw that gift strewn day.

Comments

What a lovely post, and what a lucky day for me, two Belinda posts to read. I've gotten behind! So I'm having my own Gift Strewn Day.
Belinda said…
Oh Mr. H, you do know how to drive a girl to write! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family