Uh-oh!

On Tuesday when I came home from work, Paul said,"Belinda, did you drop off the movies at the video store? The video store says that we haven't brought back The Iceman."

I'd started the week on Monday with Paul calling out as I left the house for work, "Could you take  a movie back to the video store on the way?"

"Sure," I said, I had a few spare minutes. And I also grabbed the items waiting on the bottom shelf of the hall table, to be returned to the library. 

I'd dropped everything off at their respective destinations. I remembered checking inside the DVD cases to check that the Rizoli and Isles episodes we'd enjoyed over the weekend, were there, before dropping them into the chute in the outside wall of the library. This wasn't my fault, I was pretty sure, I knew I'd dropped everything off. "Maybe they lost it, " I said to Paul. 

Paul hunted high and low in the den, just in case it was still there, but couldn't find it. I knew he had a suspicion that I had something to do with the missing DVD but I was equally sure that it was nothing to do with me. The video store would find it, eventually, I was sure.

They did, sort of. It was Wednesday when Paul said, "The video store called again to tell us that the library has The Iceman." He said that the only way it would get from the library to the video store was if I went in and got it. I was stunned that The Iceman was at the library. I have no idea how that happened.

It was rather embarrassing at the library on Thursday, explaining why I was there to pick up The Iceman. The librarian looked up from the books she was working on, and peered over her glasses at me, with friendly eyes and a smile. "Don't worry, she said, as she slid open the door, "It happens all the time." And she waved her hand like the library's own Vanna White, at a shelf full of DVDs that didn't belong to the library. 

She said, "These are from schools, video stores--all over! What did you say the one you're looking for was called?" And she soon handed me The Iceman.

My next stop was Videoquest where I handed over the DVD at last. The girl behind the counter asked if I wanted to settle the account now. I said yes, and asked how much I owed, "Five dollars," she said, "Did you like the movie?"

"I didn't watch the movie," I said, "My husband did."

"Then he owes you five dollars," she said.

"Oh no," I felt compelled to say, and explained about the library and the shelf of DVDs left behind by other people, just to make myself feel better.

I said, "It's not going to get better either, there are a lot of Baby Boomers getting older you know."

And the owner, who was labeling DVDs, looked up from her work and nodded knowingly with a smile. 

I just realized why she was smiling. The demographics are in her favour. She may be about to become very, very rich. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family