Acts of Faith

By Belinda

It's the weekend, the sun is shining brightly with the promise of spring coming soon, and at many intersections, I notice that colourful signs are stuck into the banks of mud mixed with snow, pointing passersby to the many new housing developments being built in the communities surrounding ours.

As I drove to church this morning, I passed one such sign, pointing towards the town in which we bought our first home, and it made me think of how much I didn't want to leave there when Paul felt "moved to move" closer to his place of work nearly 30 years ago. 

Looking back, I am so glad that we did move back then. Even though that particular move felt like a bit of a disaster for the first few months, it was all part of God's plan to move us into position for the next step in his life plan for us. And that made me think of all the places I didn't want to leave and that I now would not want to go back to; there have been quite a few!

One of my childhood memories, is of my first day at school. On the that day my mother dutifully brought me there, but; painfully shy and insecure; I did not want to go inside that strange and scary place full of strangers. I have no memory of the rest of the day, but I do remember being taken, screaming and crying, with each arm in the firm grip of the teacher, and both feet dragging along the ground, into the school.

I believe that God has a plan for our lives which unfolds as we follow his lead and doing so has resulted in many blessings for which I thank God always. But I haven't always been an enthusiastic participant in the adventure.  I was probably more of a drag on the momentum at times, not so different from my first day at school. 

Pondering this on the way to church made me think of this pattern as a metaphor for other kinds of leavings; letting go of the many things that grip my heart and soul and my reluctance to leave them behind. 

We know what we are leaving, but have no idea of what lies ahead. Looking forward and letting go of what we leave behind, is an act of utter faith worth taking. 

Hebrews 11:1

Easy-to-Read Version (ERV)

Faith

11 Faith is what makes real the things we hope for. It is proof of what we cannot see.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family