Treasure and Tears

Exodus 33:13-14 (New International Version)
13 If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people."


14 The LORD replied, "My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest."

I had spent the morning at my desk, busy. In early afternoon I took a break for lunch, completely unprepared for the fact that I was about to stumble upon treasure...and tears.

While munching on a Ryvita crispbread and piece of Jarlsberg cheese, I pulled up Whatever He Says on the internet, and clicked onto a favourite blog, Bene Diction Blogs On, in the blogroll sidebar.

Bene announced the death through an aggressive cancer, of Michael Spencer, well known for his blog,
Internet Monk: Dispatches from the post evangelical wilderness and a group blog The Boars Head Tavern
 .
It was obvious that Bene had great affection and respect for Michael and he included an excerpt from one of his favourite posts: The Boat in the Backyard . Out of curiosity, not being familiar with Michael Spencer, I looked up the post and read it in its entirety.

I was still at my desk and the minutes of my lunch half hour were almost gone, but I sat still. Inexplicably I felt a sense of profound loss at the passing of a man I didn't know. The story I had just read had moved me to the core of my being and touched places in my past that made me want to weep.
I knew that the best gift I could give the readers of Whatever He Says today, would be to suggest that you make a cup of tea, sit down for half an hour, and read The Boat in the Backyard. Allow the words to touch you where they need to--and if they don't, enjoy it for the writing's sake.

Thank you Michael.

"The things I thought were so important - because of the effort I put into them - have turned out to be of small value. And the things I never thought about, the things I was never able to either to measure or to expect, were the things that mattered." --Thomas Merton (a great influence in Michael Spencer's life.)

Comments

Marilyn Yocum said…
Thanks for pointing this out. I have often enjoyed The Internet Monk's thoughts, but have never read this one. It's probably the best thing I've ever read about coming to terms with one's parent and I posted a link to it as well. Thanks again.
Susan said…
Yeah, this is good stuff. Many, many parallels with my own life...

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family