How You Lived

By Belinda

I circled the car pool until I found Bonnie's car, then she got into mine and we set off down the highway for the short journey to Springdale Christian Reformed Church in the Holland Marsh.

The day held the promise of spring in the muddy retreat of the snow that has blanketed the land for the long winter. Our hearts too, held a mixture of spring and winter as we went to pay our respects by being present at the funeral for Colleen Mills, sister-in-law to your friend Ellen (Joyful Fox.)

We were deliberately early and we found a parking spot at the side of the road, and seats in the church that was already packed with people.

On our way in, I spotted Ellen and her daughter, Hannah. I tried to catch her eye, but so full of nervous energy was she as she flitted about--a slim figure in a black dress--that I had to run after her to hug her and let her know we were there.

Bonnie and I found seats and listened to the piano music that was the backdrop to the hum of many voices as people gathered and greeted each other. In the language of music, the piano's voice told a story of faith and triumph even in painful circumstances. "Fairest Lord Jesus," (I heard the words to the music, in my head,) "Ruler of all nature."

Yes, and even over death.

In front of us, on an overhead screen at the front of the large, circular sanctuary, a slide show played photos of a family together, celebrating the events that all families celebrate.

For two hours, family and friends sang, shared memories and worshipped together. The church must have held between 300-400 people. It was all a wonderful tribute to 44 years lived well, by someone who touched the world around her with kindness, sweetness and laughter.

Not for the first time this week, the thought crossed my mind that the only moment we know we have is now; this time; this moment. This week has been filled with poignant reminders not to put off the important things we intend to do "sometime."



On that day when I see
All that You have for me
When I see You face to face
There surrounded by Your grace

All my fear is swept away
In the light of your embrace
When Your love is all I need
And forever I am free

Where the streets are made of gold
In Your presence healed and whole
Let the songs of heaven rise to you alone

No weeping, no hurt or pain
No suffering You hold me now
You hold me now
No darkness no sick or lame
No hiding You hold me now,
You hold me now

In this life I will stand
Through my joy and my pain
Knowing there's a greater day
There's a hope that never fails

When Your name is lifted high
And forever praises rise
For the glory of Your Name
I'm believing for the day

When the wars and violence cease
All creation lives in peace
Let the songs of heaven rise to you alone

No weeping, no hurt or pain
No suffering You hold me now
You hold me now
No darkness, no sick or lame
No hiding You hold me now,
You hold me now

For eternity
All my heart will give
All the glory to Your name

(Hillsong--Lyrics to You Hold Me Now)

Comments

Janet Sketchley said…
Belinda, you've had a painful week, and I appreciate the insights and lessons you've shared with us. You could have kept them for yourself and concentrated on comforting yourself and your grieving friends, but you included the rest of us too and we're richer for it.

God bless and sustain you, as He does so well.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family