Speak Gently

holy experience


My friend Frances has lately been longing to learn to "speak gently." In fact she begged me to buy her a gold ring with the initials SG, to remind her, if ever I saw such a thing. "Perhaps for your 50th birthday," I said (it is a long way off!)

I found this little prayer on a scrap of note paper, in, where else, my loft room! A garland of yellow tinged pink roses and rose buds twines along the left border of the page. I have no idea when I copied it out and couldn't find out quickly who wrote it. I pray though that someone is encouraged, blessed and helped by it today, as I am whenever I read it.

Set a watch, O Lord,
upon our tongues,
That we may never speak the cruel word which
is untrue;
or, being true, is not
the whole truth;
or, being wholly true,
is merciless;
for the love of
Jesus Christ
our Lord.

Amen


Psalm 141:3 (New International Version)

3 Set a guard over my mouth, O LORD;
keep watch over the door of my lips.

Comments

Marilyn Yocum said…
I had a knee-jerk reaction to an email yesterday, answered too quickly and it hung with me all the day. I know better. Thanks for the poem.

(I'm enjoying your loft room 'finds')
Susan said…
Ah, yesterday's D'light. That spoke to my heart, too. Love the poem. Now to just DO it!
Angcat said…
Indeed and Amen to this.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family