Breathing Space

holy experience


Here it is, the 13th day of the new year already--almost half way through the first month.

I have many friends that are firm about not making New Year's Resolutions and I respect their point of view that there is nothing magical about January 1st and that most people break their resolutions by January 10th.

Myself I do enjoy the days between Christmas and New Years as thinking and praying time, and starting the new year with a set of goals to press towards in the year ahead. This year I am going slower in thinking everything through though. It occurred to me that if I want to make changes, then making them one at a time is saner than trying to start several new habits or projects all at once.

I have made a determined, and successful (so far) effort, to get to bed at 10.00 most nights. I have naturally woken up earlier--often getting up by 4.30, and what a blessing that has been! At last I have that unrushed time I struggled to find consistently until now; just to read, pray and listen. It feels very good.

While practicing that first good step of the year, I am thinking about other parts of the day and how to structure it better. I finally gave up trying to find a way to fit more things into less time. In fact I had a lightbulb moment recently. I need transition times between one thing an another! It seems so obvious but it hadn't occurred to me before. Today I heard it put another way: "breathing space." It is a way of setting a schedule up for success. We aren't automatons going from one time slot to another. I don't want to experience life that way either. I do need structure and a framework--I just work better that way and accomplish more--but ahhh, it feels good to have breathing space built in. :)

So, here's to living peacefully, and breathing...slowing down, but doing more that really matters.

Comments

Marilyn Yocum said…
Yes! This is so important and I'm glad you wrote about it.
Deidra said…
Late last year I started getting up at 4:45 each morning. It went against every fiber of my being but I am so glad I started doing that. I get extra time in the morning to, yes, breathe. And after work, more time because of all I get done in those early morning, quiet hours.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family