Sweet Simplicity

By Belinda

John 12:26 (New International Version)
26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

In much of my pursuit of God I have failed to consistently maintain the intimacy of relationship that is implicit in the notion that I am following him.

I know that have only skimmed all that there is to enjoy in him.

How can I know where God is, unless still before him, ready to hear his voice?

Matthew 11:29 (New International Version)
29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

This verse has become more real to me as I have made the choice to live more simply. When I hear God's voice I want to be able to respond, instead of being so scheduled and busy that I have no spare room for his commission.

As I move closer to this goal (I am far from there yet,) I am finding that his burden is light and my soul is more and more at rest.

Isaiah 26:13 (New International Version)

13 O LORD, our God, other lords besides you have ruled over us,
but your name alone do we honor.


"Other lords" have ruled over me: the lords of recognition; affirmation; greed; desire for prominence and achievement, to name a few. I have been their slave and they my masters.

Psalm 119:32 (New International Version)

32 I run in the path of your commands,
for you have set my heart free.

But he is setting this slow student's heart free; teaching me the connection between a life of simplicity and room for God; showing me how practicing Sabbath as a choice leads to joyful obedience to the other teachings of Christ: Unselfishness, humility, servant hood and prayer.

1 Timothy 3:16 a (New International Version)
16Beyond all question, the mystery of godliness is great:...

Our faith is full of mysterious connections spiritually. One step in a direction and everything shifts...

Comments

Suz said…
This was a wonderful, inspirational post. Thank you.

The part about being over scheduled and too busy really hit home. Why do we do that? I think it's the devil trying to distract us from God.

Your post was a great way to start the day. It brought peace to my soul.
Belinda said…
Dear Suz,
Thank you for your encouragement. Knowing that God blessed you here, blesses me.
Beautiful post! So blessed that I stopped by...
Joyfully,
Wylie
Olson Family said…
Challenging and inspiring all the way through. But my favorite line? "One step in a direction and everything shifts..."

Ah, yes! May I remember to keep my heart steadfast on Him today, knowing that He will order my steps. "...and everything shifts..."

Bless you, Belinda!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family