The Gift

Mikey is the most self centred, self absorbed 9 year-old on the face of this planet. Most of the time. I guess that makes him pretty normal.

I love this kid. This fair-skinned fellow with the hair and eyes of an angel but trust me, he's not. (Smile.) But there's just something about him...

We're polar opposites. He's organized and serious and responsible beyond his years. I think he's going to be a businessman someday. I'm forgetful, probably because my thinking process is so scattered and disorganized - and budgets are my nemesis.

Sometimes I don't understand why I could love him so much. He can be just plain mean to his four little brothers. A regular tyrant! Other times he can be so sweet that you think your heart is going to break in two, just thinking about him. But tonight he outdid himself.

As I settled into one of the lazy-boys in the living room next door, his mom (my daughter Beth) told me that I could expect to see a lot of him over his Christmas vacation. And then she told me about a very serious conversation she had with him after school today.

"I have to spend a lot of time with Mommy'sMum," he told his mother.

"Yes, it's always good for you two to spend time together, isn't it? You're pretty special to each other," Beth said, encouraging our relationship.

"No, Mom. I mean I have to spend a specially lot of time with her this Christmas."

"Why?" she asked. I was waiting for her to tell me what he wanted to get from me... But I was wrong this time.

His response melted her heart - and mine too when she relayed it to me. "Because this is her first Christmas without her dad," he said, his eyes all wide and serious.

It's my birthday today. And, sigh, Mikey couldn't possibly have given me a better gift.

Comments

Happy Birthday Susan! From a someone else who began life's journey in December, I hope my birthday wishes can be heard over the voices chanting about that OTHER December birth. Lovely story about Mikey ... may he keep that generous spirit and kind heart his whole life.
Deidra said…
Oh the children....

Happy birthday and blessed peace to you!
Suz said…
Happy Birthday to another December Susan! Your little guy's response to your not having your Dad this year was so touching. He does have a soul that is mature beyond his years. What a gift to you.
Marilyn said…
Oh, this was beautiful! Happy birthday! This arrived in my Google feed very late in the day, but at just the right time. Lovely! I hope you had a wonderful day.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family