Hair Dye

(I read this post from the past--January 08--and it brought a smile to my lips. Enjoy! Belinda)

By Ang Cat
I was in the bathroom the other day and realized that I need to dye my hair again, if I want to maintain that elusive appearance of "no grey."

It's emerging, right on the top of my head and creeping down the sides just a few short months after the last application. A mix of black and grey topping off the lighter tones and highlights blended into the rest of my "glory."

Why do we do this? I swore I wouldn't be caught in the trap. At the most I only apply dye twice a year. To do this I must let all the colour fall out until I am back to that salt and pepper look that somehow makes me feel older. After all "grey hair is the crown of the aged" isn't it?

But wait a minute...I'm not aged. At the ripe old age of 41 I'm only half way through. I know women older than me who have a lot less grey, and they don't dye. It's in my genes they say. Well my jeans don't fit the same way they used to either. But yes, Mum did go grey early, as did her siblings.

Is it the pressure of our society that we must have the look of eternal youthfulness, or do our spouses subtly suggest it, "Hey honey you need to buy another box of that stuff."

I had a friend whose husband gently told her that she needed to dye again, while his bald palate gleamed and the fringe round his ears trumpeted his losing battle with age and mortality. Did she lovingly reply "Sure honey and while I'm out getting the box, I'll get you a few brochures on HOW TO GET A HAIR TRANSPLANT!"I jest (mostly).

And then there are many men who also dye their hair. I find that the look of an aging face surrounded by a halo of dark, obviously dyed hair is disturbing...no offence intended to anyone. But aren't we supposed to change as we age?

I'm just trying to find out how to do it gracefully...And I'm pretty sure the way of the box isn't the only way.I'll go out and buy another supply. I like the more youthful look, although I have gone a few shades lighter. It's kind of fun to experiment.

There is no right answer to this question.I know many beautiful, vibrant women, who are, yes, older, but funky, gorgeous and confident in their silver.It's like the commercial that came out a while ago (for a popular drug store chain) with mature women saying things like "I want to grow older, I want laugh lines, I want to be a grandmother...". The women in it were attractive, strong and older, with character, laughter and wisdom etched onto their faces by the molding hands of life.I want to be like them....eventually.

For now I'll pick up a box of something and rinse a shade from the fountain of youth onto my tresses...an illusion...? Maybe...

1 Timothy 2:9-10
I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and propriety, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God.

Father God,Teach me what this means. It seems to be quite clear, but we are very far from this in our lives of decoration and embellishments. Help me first to be clothed with Your righteousness...Amen

Comments

Deidra said…
I went months without coloring my hair - think I "could handle it." And then I caught a glimpse of myself and was shocked at mortality staring me in the face. I quickly texted my hair lady and made a speedy appointment. So much for pretense.
Belinda said…
Ha ha, Deidra, me too. I have "gone natural" and couldn't stand it! I say, "Go for maximum coverage!" :)
Julie said…
Why do you think I have a picture of sheep on my profile..... I went from blonde as a young child to a brown to grey and now I am white like the sheep.....
Angcat said…
HaHa Belinda,
Thanks for the laugh.
I am forced to confront the fact that you saw me just a few short days ago, sans dye, and am wondering if you're suggesting anything...

:-)

Julie...white is beautiful. Enjoy being yourself.

Angcat
Belinda said…
Dear Angcat,
Thank YOU for the laugh! And I thought you looked beautiful on Sunday. No connection with the post at all! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family