In Praise of Doctors

I went for a post-operative check up on Monday, with the surgeon who saved my life on June 15th.

Dr. Keshoofy is a kind and gracious Iranian, for whom I will always thank God.

All was well, and as he shook my hand in parting, he gave me a copy of the operative note. Dr. Keshoofy explained that was in case I had a recurrence of symptoms in the future. There is a higher than normal likelihood of that due to scar tissue, and he said that it will be helpful to the doctor who sees me, should that happen, if I can show them what was done this time.

It was fascinating reading the extent of detail in the notes, from the putting on of Ted stockings to prevent blood clots, to noting that all the sponge and instrument counts were reported to be correct. In between was more information on the operation than anyone but family and a few friends would want to know.

Since I have an appreciation for the need for good documentation, but struggle with the balance between paperwork and people work, I truly admired the level of detail in the operative note. Obviously you want your doctor to be a detail person!

There was another fine doctor whose report I began to read this week. That of Dr. Luke. I noticed with acute clarity, his wording at the start of his account. Suddenly I saw him as the doctor that he was, and a very good one at that.

Luke 1:1-4 (Amplified Bible)
1SINCE [as is well known] many have undertaken to put in order and draw up a [thorough] narrative of the surely established deeds which have been accomplished and fulfilled in and among us,
2Exactly as they were handed down to us by those who from the [official] beginning [of Jesus' ministry] were eyewitnesses and ministers of the Word [that is, of the doctrine concerning the attainment through Christ of salvation in the kingdom of God],
3It seemed good and desirable to me, [and so I have determined] also
after [having searched out diligently and followed all things closely and traced accurately the course from the highest to the minutest detail from the very first, to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus,
4[My purpose is] that you may know the full truth and understand with certainty and security against error the accounts (histories) and doctrines of the faith of which you have been informed and in which you have been orally instructed.


I thank God for Dr. Luke, who was known as the "beloved physician," because for anyone who needs to know that they can trust a documented account, who better to have recorded the facts than a doctor?

Dear Lord, I thank you for hands that heal and minds that are scientific and detailed. Thank you for extending my life physically through Dr. Keshoofy, and thank you for dear Dr. Luke, who faithfully recorded facts that would lead many to eternal life.

Comments

Marilyn said…
I like how you linked these two doctors together. Just this past Monday we had a nurse whose clear attention to detail inspired confidence. Her people skills were also top-notch. We have been quite thankful for her and many others.

You had a new peek into Dr. Luke through your experience! I'll be thinking of him in new ways, too. In fact, I think I'll be paying him a visit. It's been a while. :-)
Belinda said…
Dear Marilyn,
I don't know if this is a recent or more distant comment, but as always I am so grateful for your reading here, and for responding to the words God gave me to write. I hope that you and Wally meet many professionals such as your nurse on Monday, in the journey of wellbeing.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family