Final Evening

After a week of mild spring weather, a chill descended over Britain on this, my final day here. All day a gusty wind spun leaves into the air and sprayed us with rain. It didn't dampen my heart one bit though, I just have too much to be grateful for.

Sleep seemed to have infused Mum with fresh energy and she woke up ready to get dressed and get going. Her appetite made its return today and she tackled the basic things she needs to be able to do, and did them. I clapped and cheered each victory!

In the morning I popped over to the Sycamore Club to give her friends the latest news. I knew that they would want to know, they all love her over there. Her 94 year old friend, Trudy, said, "She doesn't say much, but we all miss her," and she gave me one of Mum's favourite magazines--the ones that have wildly bizarre "true life" stories--and a Cadbury's Easter egg filled with mini eggs, which she had won in the weekly raffle, saying, "I know she will like it."

It was such a kind thought, but I gave it to Mum, in its cardboard box, knowing that she wouldn't eat it. She doesn't have a sweet tooth and rarely eats chocolate, and then only dark chocolate. But Robert and I went out to take back some clothes to Marks and Spencers and when we got back, the egg was open and Mum had been eating it. It was as if she wanted to crash through all barriers today.

Dr. Potter visited and left smiling. I said to him, "I imagine this is what you like to see," as he gazed at a very different looking lady than he had seen this time last week.

Tim, one of my two nephews here and whose 15th birthday is on March 24th, came to say goodbye, and finally, I tucked Mum in one last time. I reminded her, before we prayed, that although I was going, the Lord is with her. She said, as if I had reminded her of something she needed to know, "Yes, that is the way it's going to be from now on." As I prayed, she was "with me," quietly agreeing with every word.

Now the house is still, a packed case lies on the floor across the room. Outside the wind has gathered more gusto, literally, and is roaring its way around the village.

Early Tuesday morning I will be on my way home, placing Mum in God's hands, where she has truly been all along.

In my Daily Light for March 24th I have quotes all over the page, relating to Faith. I am afraid I don't know who wrote them originally, but I will share them here and pray that they are a blessing to someone as they have been to me:

FAITH releases the power, provision and promise of God in the present.

HOPE fastens us to the future. It's a nail in the future.

AS we travel down the road, we come to places where there is no bridge and God says, "You're going to have to trust me on this one." Faith moves us out of our comfort zone, into God's,"I can do it," zone. Our faith does not rest in our ability to believe, but in God's ability to bring it to pass.

Romans 4:20-21 (New International Version)
20Yet he did not waver through unbelief regarding the promise of God, but was strengthened in his faith and gave glory to God, 21being fully persuaded that God had power to do what he had promised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family