Re-programming

But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. Eph 2: 4-7 NASB

This week I sat in a lecture hall and learned a little bit more of how our brains operate. When normal function of the brain is compromised during development - through injury, genetics, or trauma - the effects may last our entire lives and will even determine some of the choices we make.

The more I learn of the complexity and working of this rather smallish lump of grey matter which lies in there between our ears, the more I am in awe of God's ability to reprogram things and re-route established thinking patterns. And the more I understand that some of these things have to be the work of a powerful miracle working God. And the more I respect the nature and scope of the work that must be done in order to "conform me to the image of Christ". And the more I understand my need...

No wonder it's such hard work for "self" to die. The more I contemplate how badly my brain is patterned in some things, the more grateful I am that we have access to "the mind of Christ". And how much more I realize that I must understand and accept the workings of His mind more, and my mind less. Thank God that He is risen! And thank God for the Word, in which his mind is revealed to us in direct relation to how much we are willng and able to receive. And thank God for the Spirit, which connects us to "the mind of Christ", and breathes Life into the revelation of His mind, His Word. Maybe we can't change the physiology of our brains, but we can tap into His... because he is risen, because His mind, perfectly patterned, perfect in understanding is alive.

What a gift! What an incomprehensible, obscenely lavish gift! And oh, how I want to grow in that gift and see him glorified through this feeble life...

"For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ." I Cor 12:16 NASB

Oh, Lord, Shepherd of my heart, Ruler of my mind, thank you for your Life, and for your ways. Forgive me and heal the hurt I have caused others by continuing to cling to my old ways, my old patterns of thinking, my old coping strategies. Thank you for your faithfulness... As I seek you in your Word, you reveal yourself, little by little, step by step, line upon line, precept upon precept. I thank you for the miracle that my ways of thinking can be traded for yours. I am in awe of your faithfulness, your goodness, your generosity.

Comments

I know, Susan, when the lecturer put up the picture of how brain cells communicate, I thought ... no way that coulda happened by accident. No way.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family