Wind Song

“Where does the wind come from?” asked Tiffany-Amber.

It’s strange how grown-ups lose their curiosity, when once upon a time we too used to lie on our backs in sun-warmed grass, gazing up into endless sky, wondering at all sorts of important and puzzling things.

But God sees to it that a child’s questions keep us thinking.

And so, prompted into a search of my own, I found facts that were informative but didn’t satisfy. Gases and air, hot and cold, were all very well, but they didn’t capture any of the mystery and wonder of the wind.

At my kitchen window, I glanced outside and saw waves of ripening winter wheat, cascading like water; an ocean of green-gold. The wheat danced, this way, then that, as if directed by an invisible choreographer.

I flung the window open wide and leaned out into the wonderfully windy day with my camera in hand, capturing the moment and movement in video.

Imagine a world without the wind; how dull, still and silent it would be.There would be no dancing, dappled shadows on the lawn; sparkles on pools of water, dirt devils swirling, or clouds scudding like fleets of Spanish galleons across the sky.

And there would be no soughing in the night; no whispering in the pines, no roar of howling gale at sea, or wind chimes tinkling plaintively on a porch. There would be no flapping, cracking, laundry on the line or screen doors banging, clanging.

Snow and rain would fall directly down; to feel them on my face I would have to raise it to the sky. On a hot day, no unseen, cool, silken veil would caress my arms; and kites would sit forgotten on the shelf. My hair would be safe from playful wind fingers and hats safe from flight.

How I would miss the wind if it was gone.

Job 37:9-10 (New International Version)
9 The tempest comes out from its chamber,the cold from the driving winds.
10 The breath of God produces ice, and the broad waters become frozen.

Job 37:17-18 (New International Version)
17 You who swelter in your clotheswhen the land lies hushed under the south wind,
18 can you join him in spreading out the skies,
hard as a mirror of cast bronze?


John 3:8 (New International Version)
8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.

Dear Lord, may I soar and dance on the current of your Spirit, free as a bird, unfettered by earth.

Comments

Angcat said…
I love it!
Now all I want to do is run outside and catch a draft, feel that wind grabbing me and swirling my hair around.
This was powerful, visual and sensory.

I love windy days. Thank you Belinda for this vivid description. I feel windswept and refreshed having just read it.
And one of my favorite things is laundry being blown around on the line.
:-)
Ang

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family