Words

Words spoken.

Not to be taken back. Released from imperfect hearts.

Words encourage, build, comfort, heal.

Words discourage, tear down, hurt, and destroy.

Words have such power - from our tongue and in print.

I know one day we'll give account for every foolish word we have spoken. My reckoning will be very long, I figure. I trust in Him and am glad that I will stand before God alone as judge.

Proverbs is full of exhortations, admonishings, warnings, and counsel about how we speak. Lately I have been trying to speak life into others by choosing words that edify and encourage. I have been doing a lot of thinking on the verse, "The power of life and death are in the tongue."

Such a big responsibility we have. So often we fall short of speaking words of life and blessing. Other times we encourage, build, minister and we come away so blessed to have been able to do that for others.

I think of the times I have been encouraged in my life. What a blessing those words have been and how they did speak life into who I am. I also think of the harsh words, the bitter, and the hurtful ones. Sometimes they still hurt and taunt. Words are powerful.

This week-end we have been packing for vacation. A lot must be done. My words this week-end have not been characterized by blessing. I am sorry. I grieve. I have the assurance of forgiveness but I can't take back my words. Damage has been done. I must trust in God's mercy and His grace for myself and the ones I love. He is faithful. I am glad, I will become a better steward of my words. I know I will strive. Because of Him, I look forward to more success. Right now, I have regrets.

I meditate on James 3: 2-10

"For we all stumble in many ways. If anyone does not stumble in what He says, he is a perfect man, able to bridle the whole body as well...Behold, the ships also, though they are so great and driven by strong winds, are still directed by a very small rudder, wherever the inclination of the pilot desires. So also the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. Behold, how great a forest is set aflame by such a small fire! And the tongue is a fire, the very world of iniquity; the tongue is set among our members as that which defiles the entire body, and sets on fire the course of our life, and is set on fire by hell...But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father; and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing..."

Lord, may we be more mindful of the words we speak. May we build up, encourage, and edify others, especially those we love the most. Lord, help us to speak blessing rather than cursing. Help us to speak life into others, not death. Lord, I thank you for forgiveness, mercy, and grace. I thank you that you are the healer.

Comments

Angcat said…
Hi My Friend,
Your post has very good timing, as this has been an area of struggle over the past few days in our house.
Having just come through an intense week of three with chicken pox, everyone has been rather fed up and restless. Now words have been flying like sparks.
I might just share this as a devotion with the family.
A friend of mine used this saying with her children and I've adopted it to use with ours.
LUBUCU as an acronym means:

Lift Up, Build Up, Cheer Up

She would say in a moment of strife, "children remember LUBUCU" and it helped. I find it also helps me.

Just a litle thought.

God bless your process as you ready for the cottage.

Love Ang

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family