Hope (holding onto promises expectantly)

By Sue Smith

Psalm 62:2 (New International Version)
2 He alone is my rock and my salvation;
he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

You alone my rock are my salvation,
My fortress where I'll never be shaken.
In my quiet times I know you're there
With outstretched arms to take each care.
Life can hit with a crushing blow,
But there is nothing you don't know.
You lift me up each time I stumble,
Hold me tight before I crumble.
Nothing life can throw at me
Can destroy my victory.
Cause I'm in you and you're in me.
When life's rough waves try to overwhelm,
I look up and see you at the helm
Of my life's ship, You're guiding me
Through life's too often turbulent sea.
And while the storms around me roar,
Your presence brings me safe to shore.
My hope is in you, my trust you see
Can never rest so safe in me.
But hope is such a fragile thing,
Depending on what life may bring.
Hope is good, I do agree,
But I need faith to anchor me.
I need to eat God's word each day
To power me, so Lord I pray
Increase this gift of faith I treasure.
Pour it on me without measure.
So I will see the waves of strife
As pavement for my walk through life.
And by your grace empower me
To lift another swamped one free.

Comments

Joanna Mallory said…
Thanks for articulating this truth so clearly. Our hope and faith are only secure when they're anchored in Christ -- because He never fails. I love the image of those waves being our pavement, and how the closing lines remind us to look out instead of concentrating on our own struggles.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family