Is There Snow in Heaven?

"Miss Cheryl,” asked Stephen “is there snow in heaven?"

Stephen’s question took his school bus driver by surprise. Her young passenger, whose short, dark hair was as hard to tame as his spirit, looked up expectantly. His brown eyes, normally dancing with mischief, were serious and shining with curiosity.

Stephen; named for one of the saints of the Christmas season; knew that Miss Cheryl could be counted on as a source of reliable information. This warm, kind hearted woman, had the biggest of gentle, blue eyes that twinkled with good humour. She had forged a special relationship with the children on her bus. This question though, was out of her league.

"I don't know, Stephen. You could ask your dad--he's a pastor after all."

"He hasn't been to heaven," stated Stephen, with all the logic of a 6 year old.

Miss Cheryl had to laugh and agree that he was right.

Neither of them was aware of the rustle of angel wings around them, and of ears bending close to listen to this private conversation.

“The child wants to know if there is snow in heaven," said one of the angels--the angel named Gabriel; angel ears are always keenly tuned to children's voices and even more so at Christmas time.

"Yes, Stephen, there is snow in heaven;" whispered Gabriel, "for snow reminds us of all that heaven is. Each snow flake in its perfection carries within it a tiny image of the star of Bethlehem, if only you look closely enough. White fields of them look like diamonds glittering in the sun."

Gabriel continued, "Wherever snow falls and covers the good warm soil of earth, children lie down and make snow angels just as real angels appeared against the blanket of the skies on a long ago Christmas Eve."Gabriel's eyes had a far away look as he remembered how, just as snow falls from heaven, as gentle as a feather, so it was, one Christmas long ago, that God sent down to earth his most precious gift of all, Jesus.

Although Stephen hadn't heard the angel's voice audibly, he suddenly felt that he knew the answer to his question. He couldn't explain it, but he knew, as sure as he knew anything; the answer was, yes...there is snow in heaven.

Comments

Angcat said…
Oh Belinda, that's beautiful!
You need to send it somewhere. I could see the illustrations in my mind as Gabriel spoke to Stephen.
Just lovely!
Ang
Belinda said…
Dear Ang, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the story. It was a real "God thing" when it came to me. I felt very emotional as I wrote it and when I called Stephen's mom to read it to her I felt like crying. :)
I echo angcat ... lovely story ... there must be snow in heaven, I understand it falls on trees and fields but stays off the sidewalks. Or so I've heard.
Anonymous said…
This was so sweet I cried! I hope you don't mind I forwarded it to some of my friends! Okay... pretty much everyone on my contact list that wouldn't recieve it!
Belinda said…
Of course I don't mind! I'm happy that it touched your heart Michelle.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family