Granddaughters

Jeremiah 29:11 (New International Version)
11 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

It was Saturday; otherwise known as Pancake Day in our home. I had the coffee made (top priority) and was sifting flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

I heard soft footsteps--someone else was up. It was a pajama clad Tiffany-Amber, who I put my arms around for a good morning hug--Tiffany-Amber, long and lean of body, with long, straight, dark blond hair and serious, dreamy eyes--with a sensitive artist's soul.

She began helping, cracking eggs and fetching the electric beaters from the drawer.

"How was school?" I asked.

"Fine," she said, and told me what she'd been doing in the first four days.

I asked which grade she'd just started and she told me, "Four."

"Four, already?" I said, in amazement.

"Yes," said Tiffany-Amber, her face pensive. I had obviously touched a nerve.

"I don't want to grow up."

"Do you mean you're having such a good time right now, and you want it to stay like this forever?"

She nodded.

I gave the batter a stir.

"Well, Sweetie, that things are so happy for you now is a very good thing. But do you know what God says about your future?"

She shook her head.

"Jeremiah, who was a prophet, says that God has wonderful plans for your life,"--and I quoted the verse, "If you don't grow up, you'll never find out what they are."

Tiffany-Amber's eyes widened and she looked like she was giving serious consideration to maybe growing up.

It was later, after breakfast, with Victoria, quick of mind and wit, and their mom, Brenda having her Saturday morning coffee with me in our big, sunny room, that our conversation continued.

We read Psalm 139:13-16 and talked about knitting and what it meant that God knit them together, intricately weaving together every part of who they were--and again, how all of their days were already written in God's book, before they were even born--that he has a special purpose for their lives. As they listened carefully to a grandmother's words, I thanked God for an opportunity to speak a message of purpose into young lives.

Later I returned from shopping to find Peter, Sue and our other four grandchildren here. Katherine of the dark hair and eyes and the tall, slim frame, ran up to me and gave me a children's worship CD.

"I brought this so that you could listen to it," she said, "I thought that you would like it."

The emphasis was not lost on me. I treasure my growing connection with this granddaughter who has so much in common with her other grandmother, who sews beautifully, as Katherine does.

I put it on right away, and made sure that I give her feedback on the music.

Nineteen month old Emily was busy pointing at Maple Cream cookies, opening them up, eating the cream then flinging the actual cookie to one side and pointing at the bag for another. I observed that she hadn't finished the cookie.

"Oh, she never actually eats the cookie," said Sue, "Just the cream.

"Hmmm Emily," I thought, as she continued opening and flinging, "Good taste!"

Psalm 139:13-16 (New International Version)
13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

Comments

Susan said…
Yes, grandaughters are a special treasure... and when they are open to what God is saying through us - it is a wondrous delight.

I spent a little time with both of mine tonight. What blessing...

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family