The Table

Psalm 23:5 (New King James Version)
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
My cup runs over.

Saturday--I always have big plans for extra things--like cleaning windows, getting rid of that pile of mending by doing it, or sorting out the room that needs tidying--but all I can ever seem to manage is watering the plants, doing the laundry and the shopping. And then I seem to run out of day.

Other important things fill up the hours of Saturdays--things like unhurried breakfasts with family, coffees with Brenda, phone calls to England and from Peter. And time with God of course--so I don't feel too badly about my meagre visible results at the end of the day.

Added to the mix today was preparing the worship service and I found myself thinking about it as I watered the plants, my last task before sitting down to choose songs for tomorrow. This week our church will celebrate communion--and I decided I would take a CD with a song to play as the communion is served.

The song I chose was Keith Green's version of The Lord is My Shepherd and to be sure it would fit and that I had the right track, I listened to it.

As usual I was awed by the sheer beauty of his voice and the passion as his fingers beat away at the piano keys, drumming out the rhythm with an intensity that was all part of who he was.

As I heard Keith's voice soar with those familiar words, You prepare a table for me..." I thought of the communion table we would be sharing tomorrow and of the table at which Jesus broke bread and shared wine with his disciples as they celebrated the Passover--sharing the very symbols of his body and blood.

The table prepared for me in the presence of my enemies is the table at which my salvation was promised.

A little research on the significance of anointing someone's head with oil led me to the verse below in Isaiah. Wow--I had never noticed this before. The one from whom the yoke comes is our enemy--Satan.

Isaiah 10:27 (New King James Version)
27 It shall come to pass in that day
That his burden will be taken away from your shoulder,
And his yoke from your neck,
And the yoke will be destroyed because of the anointing oil.

But Jesus is the One who invites us:
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Matthew 11:28-30 (NKJV)

"You will find rest for your souls" Matthew 28:29 b echoes "He restores my soul," Psalm 23:3

Dear Lord, I thank you for the wonder of your Word and I thank you for the table that made it possible for my burden to be taken away and the yoke that I was under to be taken off and destroyed. Praise you Lord.

Comments

Brenda B said…
Beautiful....just BEAUTIFUL!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family