First Day

I'm taking some vacation days this week and am so grateful at the end of this good day, for the gift of time at home. I'm using the time to complete a writing assignment for a course--and enjoying the chance to catch up on some of the things that don't get done in a normal week.

Last night there was a strong wind determinedly finding tiny cracks in window frames and singing mournfully through them. In the morning I sat on the couch to reflect, read and pray but found myself distracted and gazing through the window at the silver birch. Little green leaves adorned each branch and the catkins blew out in the wind like green streamers. And the branches of the tall blue spruce in the middle of the front lawn, its strong centre trunk holding firm, danced in the wind, in constant movement as if being shaken by an invisible and mischievous friend.

Victoria ran down the driveway to catch the school bus with Molson trotting beside her and then Tiffany-Amber followed. Hair and spring jackets billowed behind them. A few minutes later they ran back to the house to change into warmer clothing--the glorious sunshine had tricked them into thinking it was warmer than it actually was.

When I reflected in the end, it was on what a prickly porcupine of a person I can be--or an armadillo or turtle--when confronted with a fault. Instead I would like to be soft as a rabbit, with tall and sensitive ears to listen well! That is my prayer this week.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to receive reproof or criticism as a gift--even though a gritty gift--to refine and polish me into a better person. Please purge me of pride and defensiveness.

James 1:19 (New International Version)
19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,

Comments

Susan said…
Me TOO!
Leann said…
yes Lord help us all become the people you intended.cause only you can help us be better then we are.
God bless.

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family