Deeper into Truth

I was in my car, waiting for the lights to change when the woman caught my attention. I watched her as she crossed the road into the plaza. Her dark blonde hair was short and spiky--slightly unkempt--her face was pale and had a slightly quizzical expression. Her clothes were odd. Beneath the skirt of a cotton dress, she wore turquoise leggings and over her dress a short, light brown jacket. "An artistic soul," I thought at first,"Someone who marches to the beat of their own drum." Then she put a cigarette to her mouth and took a long drag on it as she hurried along--and with that small action, my impression changed--her eccentricity seemed of a different kind as she hurried along the street.

I thought of how quickly an impression can change based on very limited information and I thought of how limited my ability is to "see" well at all.

My friend Irene recently told me about the Johari Window. This window is a diagram related to how we appear or present ourselves. There are four squares that represent information about ourselves that is a) known both to ourselves and to others b) known to ourselves but not to others c) not known to ourselves but known to others and d) not known to ourselves or others. The bottom line is that perception is far from accurate or complete, much of the time.

I realize that my "vision" is limited. While I see little and in one dimension, God sees the integrated whole. I see in black and white--not the full spectrum of colour--God sees in technicolour.

Dear Lord, for all the times that I am quick to judge when I have no right, please forgive me. Thank you for this simple reminder of my limitations and your omniscience.

1 Corinthians 13:12 (New International Version)
12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

Comments

Susan said…
Wonderful post and puts the brakes on our "judging too quickly" if we truly take it and the Bible seriously!!! I remember being exposed to the Johari Window in the past (although I wouldn't have remembered the name I remember the concept). It was very inlighting to realize we truly do have those 4 aspects of us. More reason than ever to pray that the Holy Spirit reveal to us our true selves.
Shawna said…
I am so quick to judge as well. Oh, what God could accomplish if I chose to see others as God sees them. I'm a work in progress!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family