Flying Blind

Isaiah 30:21 (New International Version)
21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it."

"Flying blind"--it's a phrase used to describe flying without seeing outside an aircraft. Am I the only one that finds that thought scary?

I once was in downtown Toronto, about to take the plunge and cross a busy intersection. Yes, I admit it--I'm one of those boring people who'll go out of my way to find lights to cross at if I can. I guess I'm not the greatest risk taker!

Something caught my eye in my peripheral vision and I turned to look. It was a couple, studiously listening to the sound of the traffic and they both carried canes. I froze. I didn't know what to do. They weren't asking for help--I didn't know the protocol--should I ask if they wanted help? But they didn't seem to be looking for it--I just remember feeling scared as they crossed the road, surrounded by the chaotic rush hour traffic.

Recently I had an experience of flying blind through a tough situation. Usually I have some sort of plan of approach, but this was uncharted territory and I had no resources of my own to draw upon--nothing but a lot of prayer. While I would not have chosen this experience, I am glad I had it. I learned that straining with the ears of the spirit to hear God's voice, is pretty exciting--because he speaks! Funny that he should have to render me totally helpless before I do that. Step by step he led--this God whose name is Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. I may not be a risk taker when crossing a road, but I've learned that putting my hand into the hand of God is no risk at all.

Psalm 25:12 (New International Version)
12 Who, then, is the man that fears the LORD ?
He will instruct him in the way chosen for him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family