On Prayer

Psalm 141:2 (New International Version)

2 May my prayer be set before you like incense;
may the lifting up of my hands be like the evening sacrifice.

Prayer--it takes many forms and shapes. I awoke this morning as I always do, with an awareness of God's Presence. It was natural to slip from Presence to prayer in my first thoughts and words.

While prayer can be as automatic as breathing, there is also a more intentional kind of prayer on behalf of someone else. This is an area of ebb and flow for me, with the exception of a specific few people for whom I pray regularly. Prayer needs fly in the Christian community as thick and fast as a Denver snowstorm in winter--and sometimes I feel stuck in a snow-drift!

So I had an idea. I wrote all the needs that I know of for prayer on little slips of paper. I put them into a wicker basket that sits on the coffee table in the room where I meditate, read and pray.

Each morning, I reach into the basket, trusting God to lead me to the needs that I am to pray for that day. I can take them with me to work and I'm carrying blank slips with me to write on when I promise to pray for a need that someone mentions during the day.

The part I'm looking forward to is this--on the reverse of the slips I'm going to write the answers to prayer and place them in a basket of thanksgiving!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Dear Bel- This is one lottery in which I will happily take a gamble!Poppy
I have been in a snowstorm in Denver - if prayer fell that thick and fast - there may not be room for hate, or war, or deceit, or jealousy. If the world was blanketed by prayer perhaps there would finally be a stillness. I hope that the thankful slips become a snowdrift - and expect they will. dave
Belinda said…
You two are part of my bundle of friends blanketed in prayer daily! I'm laughing at Poppy's description of my slips as a "prayer lottery!" That is going to keep me smiling all day long.

As for the "thankful slips"--I too anticipate a snowdrift. I can't wait!
Lily said…
Hey Belinda, you'd better copy out all those prayer on new WHITE slips of paper and throw all those yellow ones away. (Well, you know what they say about "yellow snow"!)

Thankful to be in one or two of those drifts myself, Lil.
Anonymous said…
Loved your reflection today Bo! We so often forget the soaring that sharing our heart with a friend brings. I officially declare 2007 the year of "Passionate Friends”. So for those of you out there that have lost touch with someone you miss-have courage, STEP OUT, try to reconnect and refresh the flame of that friendship.
"To keep the lamp burning we have to put oil into it." Mother Teresa

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family