Admiration/Affirmation Addiction

Philippians 2:3 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
3Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

It was dark as I drove home, sipping delicious Lemon Lime Zinger tea from my favourite red travel mug. As the tart flavour woke up my tongue I pondered the amazing ability of our taste buds to clearly distinguish two separate yet similar flavours.

My mind drifted to the battle I wage with an inordinate appetite for affirmation and admiration. I decided that the need for affirmation isn't quite as dysfunctional as a craving for admiration. God demonstrated affirmation toward Jesus when he said, "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased." We affirm one another in our gifts and our good qualities (which often we don't recognize until someone else points them out), but admiration is more tricky. I've become more aware lately of numerous subtle cues that I extend, almost--but not quite, subconsciously; to friends, co-workers and family, in an attempt to bolster my insecurities. Only my dear husband seems totally oblivious and immune--I have to use the direct approach with him: "Why do you love me?" and "Can you be more specific?"

I laugh at myself for this trait but it's truly something I'd like a lot less of, especially when I long to be conformed to the image of One who lived his life in humility and servant-hood. Admiration and affirmation--I will try to lay down the need and remember that I am his beloved child. It may take a while for my friends to notice a radical difference, but I'll be working on it, with God's help!

Philippians 2:5-8 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7 but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

Comments

Unknown said…
Thank you!
Belinda said…
Hello Justine,
Thank you for your comment on this old post that I had long forgotten. Every comment is an encouragement. Bless you!

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family