Choosing Health for Life and Eternity

Matthew 4:4 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
4 Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'"

While away on vacation I did a lot of walking. It feels good to have regained a better level of physical fitness and I've determined to make some form of regular exercise a non negotiable part of my weekly schedule.

As well, I've recommitted to healthier eating, with a long range view in mind - to rid myself of five unwanted pounds and put into my body the material it needs to be strong and healthy for the long haul.

The fact is that if I don't do either of these things, the result won't be immediately evident, and that's why it's so easy to let them go, but the body I'm building today, bite by bite and step by step, is the body I'll have to live with tomorrow!

Matthew 4:4 reminded me this morning that there is another type of food that nourishes a part of me that will never die. If I neglect the spiritual food of the Word of God, the results won't be immediately evident, but Jesus said that as necessary as bread is to live on, so is the Word. If I make it a non negotiable habit to feed on it daily I will develop spiritual muscle and vibrancy. When the pressure is on, I'll have resources to draw on that won't fail me. Priorities are so hard to balance in the busy lifestyle we live with these days, but time with God has to be number one.

Prayer: Lord, I commit my time, my priorities to you. Listening for your voice through your Word and through prayer is more important than anything else. I commit my goals for physical health to you too and ask for your help and blessing.

Proverbs 3:7-8 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society
7 Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.
8 This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family