God's Name Reveals Who He Is

Exodus 6:2-3 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

2 God also said to Moses, "I am the LORD. 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac and to Jacob as God Almighty,
but by my name the LORD I did not make myself known to them."

Exodus 6:12 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)

12 But Moses said to the LORD, "If the Israelites will not listen to me, why would Pharaoh listen to me, since I speak with faltering lips ?"

As I read this chapter, my eyes were drawn irresistibly back to verse 3, as to a beautiful item in a store window that I've just walked quickly by. It felt like in that verse, God had something significant to share. What was the difference between the name God revealed himself by to Abraham, Isaac and Jacob: God Almighty - and the name by which he was now revealing himself to Moses: the Lord?

My eyes locked on the name, "The Lord". I wanted to know more about the significance of that name.

The Amplified Bible, which expands on the root words in the original languages, giving the many nuances of the original text (in this case Hebrew) says this:

Exodus 6:3 (Amplified Bible)

3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob as God Almighty [El-Shaddai], but by My name the Lord [Yahweh--the redemptive name of God] I did not make Myself known to them [in acts and great miracles].

Names carry deep significance and throughout his interactions with mankind, God has revealed himself by many names, each one embodying a significant facet of his character, of who he is. He promises to be to us everything we need, the All Suffiicient One. But here, God is making himself known to Moses as Yahweh ("the redemptive name of God"), who would demonstrate his power in acts and great miracles.

I bought a t shirt this week that proclaims the message, "Expect Miracles". Sometimes we just need God to be "the Lord" to us, the One who will "demonstrate his power in acts and great miracles." I'm so grateful that in the situations where my abilities are insufficient, his power has only just begun.

How much easier it would have been for Moses if he could have said, "Oh, so that's who you are!" and stood on that name, "taken it to the bank," so to speak, but immediately after God revealed his powerful name, Moses was still focused on who he was, not on who God was, just like I am so often, even with my t shirt that says, "Expect Miracles.".

Prayer: Dear Lord, be the God of miracles in the situations where there is no other hope. I am thinking of several overwhelmingly complex situations that are ideal for you to demonstrate your miracle working power in. Help me get and keep my focus off me and on you. I do believe in miracles because I believe in who you are. Thank you for making yourself known, for slowing me down enough to show me who you are.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Movies

Ere Zij God--Glory to God in the Highest! A Dutch Carol

Samson Beaver and his Family